A Multinational consumer products company needed to remove the high concentrations of suspended fats, oils, and solids in the wastewater before it reached a municipal wastewater treatment center. EPIC Systems designed and installed a complete industrial wastewater treatment system, including a dissolved air flotation (DAF) and flocculation unit to support the process.
- Industry: Consumer Goods
- Division: Process Systems
- Application: DAF/Effluent Treatment
- Flocculation system joined with dissolved air flotation (DAF) tank
- Complete HVAC system to cool MCC controls room
- Heat trace system, high air pressure to force liquid fats upward
- New 2,400-square-foot turnkey wastewater treatment facility
- Forcing fats, oils, and solids suspended in wastewater to top for removal
- Clearing unusable on-site wastewater treatment infrastructure
- Installation of new building to house treatment system
- Minimizing costs while complying with municipal wastewater regulations
- Ensured compliance with municipal wastewater regulations
- Eliminated effluent disposal fees for significant savings
- Reduced HVAC buildout costs with prefabricated system
- Second filtration step before wastewater directed to municipality
The Epic Solution
EPIC Systems designed and installed a complete industrial wastewater treatment system, including a dissolved air flotation (DAF) and flocculation unit. The goal was to remove the high concentrations of suspended fats, oils, and solids in the wastewater before dispatching it to the municipal wastewater treatment center.
The project required a blend of civil engineering, mechanical engineering and construction to deliver a new 2,400-square-foot prefabricated wastewater building. EPIC’s Project Managers led the project and coordinated multiple parties to deliver the facility.
EPIC designed the process system, specified and procured all equipment and instrumentation for this system. Pipe racks and bridges, pipe spools, process equipment, and raw material pumping systems were designed and fabricated to support process fluid flow.
The system was designed as a turnkey solution for the client and contained the following features:
- A flocculator system that allowed gray-water to be chemically treated with a caustic solution
- A heat trace system was added to keep fats in a liquid state and prevent pipe blockages
- EPIC automated the caustic additive process delivering fill-on-demand capability
- Allen Bradley PLC’s were used to seamlessly join the flocculation system with the DAF tank, integrating both into the waste stream
- EPIC used a pressurized air system to keep fats and solids at the top of the tank
- A belt skimmer was installed to scrape fats from the top of the tank into a hopper bin and into sludge storage tanks
A second filtration step was also installed. Wastewater passed through this filtration step before being released to the municipality. After the DAF system was installed, the municipality was able to accept effluent from the plant without extra fees.
The system successfully removed fats, oils & solids from the process wastewater and allowed the company to meet its sustainability objectives and comply with all regulatory standards.